I don’t know about you, but whenever I watch the Rachel Zoe show I think of how cool that job is (and how crazy she is). You get to shop for your job, meet cool photographers and models, and are always surrounded by creativity. I’ve also been to photoshoots as part of my day job working in advertising and every time I end up enjoying the wardrobe part of the shoot with the stylists the most. Do you think being a fashion stylist would be a cool job? Here are some helpful, realistic tips from an experienced stylist on how to get into the competitive fashion styling industry.
A quick recap of what she talks about:
- Have an absolute love for fashion and keeping up with the latest trends
- You don’t need a fashion degree, but courses in fashion styling are helpful
- Get internships at different companies to get a variety of experience
- Build your contacts with photographers, make-up artists, etc. in the industry
- Have a test shoot with the contacts you have built to create your portfolio
Are you a fashion stylist or know someone who is? Please share your advice on how to get started in the industry!