A quick Google search shows that there are over 60 million fashion blogs. So why start another one? The simple answer: because you like fashion. If it’s something you like, why not share it with other people? It will be easy for you to write about since you are passionate about it – whether it’s providing style advice, posting pictures of your personal style, or sharing photos from runway shows – it’s worth getting it out there on a blog if you enjoy it! But how do you get started? Here it is in 5 easy steps:
1) Figure out what you want to write about and how it will be different. The easiest way to be different is by getting specific, like not just writing a wedding fashion blog, but focusing it on a certain type of weddings, like the Hipster Bride.
2) Choose what blog platform works best for your needs. The main platforms to choose from are Tumblr and WordPress. Tumblr has become very popular for fashion blogs lately because the platform itself is very user-friendly and it’s great a displaying photos, tagging your posts, and following others. Wordpress is the more traditional platform (and what I use). It is easy to use once you get into it and works well if you will be writing blog posts versus just posting pictures all the time.
3) Start posting! It will take a bit for you to get noticed, so be patient. The best thing to do is to write 2-3 posts a week for at least 3 months to get your foundation going and figure out what you like writing or posting about.
4) Follow blogs you like. You can do that by conducting a search for fashion blogs on Google or Tumblr like I did and browsing through to find what you like. The Independent Fashion Bloggers network is also a great place to find blogs and connect with other fashion bloggers.
5) Comment, share and question. Blogging is all about being a part of a community of people who like fashion as much as you do! On your own blog, ask questions to encourage people to comment on your posts and reply back to them if they do. If you read a post that you like on the blogs you follow, comment back or share.
Good luck, have fun and please add your fashion blog to the comments to share with us all!